WhatsApp is hands-down, the best and most used instant messaging service on smartphones these days and reason that makes it the best is its feature-packed nature. You might be using a couple of these features already, which is enough to make you fall in love with the app. But are you sure you know all of them?
1. Mark chats as unread
Ever been out and about, read a chat and then completely forgot to reply? We do it all the time. There is a way to mark important chats with dot to remind you to go back to it though.
iOS: Chats > Swipe left to right > Mark as Unread
Android: Long press chat > Open Menu > Mark as Unread
2. Save your data allowance
If you’ve got a limited data allowance, you don’t want WhatsApp munching it all away. Thankfully, you can customise when media is allowed to download, as well as ensure calls use as little data as possible.
iOS and Android: Settings > Data and Storage Usage > Media Auto-Download
3. Find out whome you’ve interacted with the most on WhatsApp.
*Go To “Settings”on your WhatsApp Screen.
*Click on “Data Usage” and then on “Storage Usage”
Now a pop up will tell you the ranking of the charts according to time spent on the each individual chats with the break down of how many messages you’ve sent to that person or group.
4. Save a date on WhatsApp as ‘event’ in your phone’s calender.
Whenever we type a date, time or link, it appears to be clickable on WhatsApp, right?
What you didn’t know is that you can also create an event by simply clicking on it which will take you to the option “Creat Event” and let you add an event to your phone’s calendar.
5 .Swipe right on a message to reply.
Just swipe right on the specific line or quote and Whatsapp will do the rest.
6 .Send someone a WhatsApp message without actually typing anything.
Say “Hey Siri” (iOS) or “OK Google” (Android) and then, ask it to “send a WhatsApp to” followed by the name of your contact, and then say “saying”, followed by your message.
7. Stop people seeing your messages
Ever passed your phone to a friend and instantly panicked about the messages they might see come through? Yeah, we haven’t either. For those that have, you can turn off message preview on iOS so only the contact’s name will appear, rather than their life story, or you can turn off notifications altogether.
In Android, it’s not possible through the WhatsApp app but you can stop private information showing up on your lock screen in Android itself.
iOS: Settings > Notifications > Toggle off Show Preview / Settings > Notifications > Toggle off Show Notifications
8 .Create your own ‘notes’ chat where you can save photos, links, voice clips etc.
Create a new group and add any one other contact to it.
After creating the group, delete the participant and start saving your pictures, notes, voice notes etc.
9 .Hide your phone number when using WhatsApp.
* Insert the old SIM and activate WhatsApp on it.
* Replace the old SIM with the new one.
* When prompted, choose to go with the old number on WhatsApp.
Now, nobody will be able to get your current number if they have you on WhatsApp.
10. Find out how long you’ve been ignored for
There is nothing more annoying than seeing those blue ticks appear without a reply following soon after. If you want to torture yourself a little more and find out when your message was actually read and how long you’ve been ignored for, you can. We don’t advise it though.
iOS: Chats > Specific chat > Specific message > Swipe left to right
Android: Chats > Specific chat > Specific message > Press and hold > Tap the info “i” icon at the top
11 . There is a typewriter font on Whatsapp.
Go to the punctuations tab on your chat, and enclose your message with three characters of ` on either side.
Send the message, and it’ll go through in the typewriter font.
12. Spy On Someone Else Whatsapp
- Borrow your friends’ android phone which you want to spy for just one minute.
- Go to settings —> About phone —> Status—> Wi-Fi MAC address
- Note down the mac address. Keep the phone for few more minutes. we need it man.
- Now go to your phone and uninstall whatsapp.
- Change your Mac id to your friend’s one by spoofing mac.
- Now Download and install whatsapp on your phone. Whatsapp will send the verification code to your friend’s phone.
- verify your downloaded whatsapp by the verification code sent to your friend’s phone.
- You have installed exact replica of your friend’s whatsapp. Now whatever he or she will do, you can track it with your phone. Useful for parents and lovers. Do not use it for illegal purpose.
13 .Access WhatsApp’s huge secret GIF library.
Go to any chat, and click the ‘+’ icon on the bottom left.
Click on ‘Photo & Video Library’ from the popup menu.
Click on ‘GIF’ on the bottom left and you will have a crazy number of gifs for your perusal.
14 .Use WhatsApp to turn your videos to GIFs in a jiffy.
Go to any chat, and click the ‘+ icon on the bottom left.
Click on ‘Photo & Video Library from the popup menu and select a video from your library under the limit of 64MB.
In the video editing view, slide the video length cropper down to 5 seconds or less.
And that’s how your videos get turned into a crazy gif.
15. You can also see who has read your message on a group chat and when they have read it.
All you have to do is left-swipe on any message you’ve sent to a group chat, and you’ll get a list of who has read the messages and at what time. Even if everyone’s deactivated their read receipts!
16. Hide the blue ticks
Those blue ticks can get you in a whole world of trouble, especially when you don’t reply instantly and someone sees you have read their messages. You can turn them off, but it’s worth noting that if you do, you won’t get read receipts for your messages either.
Apple users: If you get Siri to read the message, the blue ticks won’t appear so this could be a good way to read a message without the sender knowing you have.
iOS: Settings > Account > Privacy > Toggle off Read Receipts.
Android: Settings > Account > Privacy > Untick Read Receipts.
17. Turn words bold, italic or strikethrough
Sometimes certain words need more emphasis and shouty caps just isn’t going to cut it. Don’t worry, WhatsApp allows you to make whichever words or phrases you want bold, italic, or strikethrough them altogether.
iOS and Android: Add an asterisk either side of the word or phrase for *bold*. Add an underscore either side of the word or phrase for _italic_. Add a tildes to either side of the word or phase for ~strikethrough~.
WhatsApp. Wonderful, wonderful, WhatsApp. The messaging service that made BBM look boring and text messages redundant.
Of course there are now heaps of messaging services around, but WhatsApp has had a massive head start on almost all of them, meaning it has tonnes of features.
18. Send All Your Conversation To Your Email
Most people wanted to view media and chats on their computer, but they are unaware of a shortcut that can send all the chat history and images, video to your inbox with one single click.
- Just go to whatsapp and press any contact for more than few seconds.
- A pop up menu will appear
- Click on email conversation. Send your conversation via gmail or any other email.
19. Bookmark important messages
Some messages are more important than others. Whether it’s a date you need to remember, or a good restaurant you’ve been recommended. It’s possible to bookmark these messages and find them all easily in the Starred Messages section.
iOS: Chats > Specific chat > Specific message > Double tap or hold down and press the star
Android: Chats > Specific chat > Specific message > Hold down and press the star
20. Use Whatsapp Without Any Phone Number
Do you know you can use whatsapp without any phone number. Yes you heard it right. Follow the steps:
- Uninstall whatsapp from your mobile.
- Download whatsapp from play store.
- Turn the flight mode on.
- Download and install spoof messages app from play store
- Start the installation process.
- Now , It will not be able to verify you via internet and it will prompt you to choose alternate SMS Method.
- Now choose check through sms and enter your email.
- Instantly without waiting for any more time click on cancel and authorization process will stop.
- Now open the spoof messaging app and enter below details.
So these were some of the top tricks of WhatsApp that you should know about to make the most out of it. Moreover, as WhatsApp adds many new features every couple of months, we will be constantly updating this article as new features are made available. So make sure you bookmark this page and also subscribe to our newsletter and never lose track.